Sunday, February 24, 2013

R.I.P Morris "Magic Slim" Holt

One of the giants of the Blues world and certainly my favorite, Morris "Magic Slim" Holt passed away last Thursday after he was hospitalized complaining of difficulty in breathing. He was 75 years old.

Slim, who lived in Lincoln, Nebraska by way of Chicago and originally Mississippi was perhaps the most powerful guitar player I ever heard and his style of rockin' blues made any venue, large or small, a hot spot of satisfying rock n' roll and blues boogie.

I saw Slim perform perhaps more than anyone and I had recently seen him last fall in the village of NYC at a tiny club called Terra Blues. No matter that the place barely could hold 100 people, Slim and his band, The Teardrops" put on an inspired performance.

It was just like Slim, touring til the very end. God Bless you, Slim, I'm gonna miss the hell out of you!





No comments:

Post a Comment